Cherry blossoms are really popular among Japanese people, which tell us the arrival of spring. The cherry blossom blooms from the end of March to the beginning of April. Due to its botany that it opens out quickly, stays in bloom only for about one week, and falls at once before withering; the cherry blossom symbolizes transience and graciousness of calmly accepting its destiny however it is.
This origami piece does not really require special technique. It takes only about 5 min to make. Just be careful a little when you use scissors and enjoy cherry blossoms!
Preparation for origami cherry blosssom
- Cherry Blossom: Pink 1
- Branch: Brown x 2
- Tool: Scissors and glue
Origami cherry blossom instructions
1. Valley fold in half.
2. Valley fold to make creases and unfold.
3. Valley fold to have the bottom left corner to the center (♥) in the right half side.
4. Valley fold to meet the (♥) edges along the dotted line.
5. Valley fold to meet the (♥) edges along the dotted line.
6. Mountain fold (fold backward) along the line.
7. Cut along the dotted line.
8. Open and mountain & valley fold along the lines.
9. Mountain and valley fold along the dotted lines.
11. Turn over and flatten the bellybutton.
12. Turn over, again, and finished!
How do you like the Origami cherry blossom? Maybe you can enjoy the blossoms more with an Origami branch. Its instruction is provided in next page. In Japan, many people go out and enjoy admiring cherry blossoms in full bloom with their families, friends, colleagues, etc. often having foods and drinks. It is a picnic under the cherry blossom. We call this practice “Hanami” that has lasted for centuries. If you make some pieces of this Origami set, you can enjoy “Hanami” anytime.